Weatherization Assistance Program
For questions or more information, please contact
(702)486-7220 Ext 237
Home Energy Retrofit Opportunities for Seniors (HEROS) Program
Nevada Weatherization Field Guide Documents
The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) was established in 1977 to reduce energy costs for low-income families, particularly for the elderly, people with disabilities and children by improving the energy efficiency of their homes while ensuring their health and safety. The assistance is provided to eligible clients free of charge.
The mission of the Department of Business and Industry, Nevada Housing Division and the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) are linked by a commitment to public and private sector collaborations to assist vulnerable Nevadans in the housing industry. WAP is distinguished from other programs because it represents a judicious investment, rather than a subsidy, to reduce the energy burden. The Division is the only state agency that provides emergency replacement of failed heating and cooling equipment at no cost to owner-occupied dwellings.
WAP is funded primarily from the Fund for Energy Assistance and Conservation (FEAC) in Nevada which was established through the passage of AB661 during the 2001 Legislative Session. Other funding is available through the U.S. Department of Energy, the Housing Division's Low Income Housing Trust Fund (LIHTF), the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP),Southwest Gas Corporation and other private sector companies. Funds for weatherization assistance are available to all areas of Nevada.
Service Areas and Providers
NHD administers WAP through a network of five highly skilled subgrantees in statewide strategic locations called service areas. The subgrantees conduct onsite energy audits to assess the scope of work for each project. Through a competitive process, each subgrantee retains local contractors with trained crews who install various energy conservation measures in single-family, manufactured housing or multi-family apartment buildings. The subgrantees and their service areas include:
- HELP of Southern Nevada- serving City of Las Vegas, Southern Rural Clark County, and City of Henderson
- Las Vegas Clark County Urban League- serving City of North Las Vegas and Northern Rural Clark County
- Community Services Agency- serving Washoe County
- Nevada Rural Housing Authority- serving Carson, Churchill, Douglas, Lyon and Storey Counties
- Rural Nevada Development Corporation- serving Elko, Esmerelda, Eureka, Humboldt, Lander, Lincoln, Mineral, Nye, Pershing and White Pine Counties
Weatherization Services Available
Typical measures installed through the Weatherization Assistance Program may include but are not limited to the following:
- Health and safety measures- carbon monoxide detector installation and testing of gas appliances, assurance of indoor air quality standards
- Ceiling, floor and duct insulation
- Duct leakage sealing (return and supply systems)
- Shell infiltration sealing- replace broken windows, replace exterior doors and windows,weather stripping, caulking, evaporative cooler covers, etc.
- Insulation of water heater and water heater pipes
- Installation of low-flow shower heads
- Solar screens (Southern Nevada only)
- Minor home repairs to facilitate the installation of weatherization materials
- Heating and cooling system repairs/replacements
- Compact fluorescent lights